28 March 2022

The Things That Remind You . . . .

Towels Drying Near Boulders, Sokcho.

Sometimes I see things in Korea that remind me very strongly of scenes I might see in Newfoundland, where I'm originally from. I don't feel homesick, but it's nice to be around something that is deeply familiar. There are many sandy beaches along the east coast of Korea, something that Newfoundland is not known for. What Newfoundland is known for is rocks, and when I see a rocky coastline in my adopted home, it feels comfortable.

   Warm fuzzy feelings aside, I think that rocks are much more interesting to look at and photograph than sandy beaches. Sand brings the tourists and it's bloody hot under the feet in summer. Rocks have crashing waves, interesting formations, and uncleanable towels.

4 comments:

  1. As you know, the beach in front of the cabin is a rocky beach, pebbles I'd call them, and it's common here. An American visitor ( a guest of my brother ) to the cabin years ago marveled at the beach because he had never seen a pebble beach, he always thought that beaches were always sandy. I guess he had never roamed far from home up to that point. Anyway, we love them just the way they are, great for skipping stones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are there any sandy beaches in Newfoundland?

      Delete
  2. Rocks over sand any time - photographically speaking! Not for walking on, though. Here in Ireland we're all pure golden sand - I was surprised and disappointed when I landed in Brighton, famous for it's beach and pier(s). The beach is all stone...you can barely walk on it!

    Love the photo. I've had a series brewing in my head for some time, centred around washing hanging outside, which some people (mostly in the country) still do around here. But it's bordering on the voyeuristic and so I've haven't pursued it. Perhaps with a long enough lens it might be safe enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also want to make photos of washing on lines but haven't the nerve. Those cloths are around the back of a restaurant so I could photograph them without anyone seeing.

      Delete

Cat in a Blanket

  Fuji 200, Nikon F6  Another test to see how I like Blogger versus Wordpress. Wordpress themes are irritating me.