08 August 2022

Fishing Boat

 


How much needs to be known about this photograph beyond the thousand words it's worth? Does knowing the film, the aperture, and the shutter speed add any value? Is it important to know in which harbour I photographed this boat?

I'm asking these questions out of a sense of laziness.  I would like all the answers to be 'nothing' and 'no'. Now and then I get a burst of organising energy and add keywords, titles, and captions to my photographs. But that energy doesn't last long and I'm back to only adding a title to each photo's filename to identify it. The photo above is '20220721-002-026 boat in gaetbae wharf.jpg'. The location is just a guess based on other photos on the roll. I should probably just call it 'rope on fishing boat'. That would be enough information for a computer search.

I wonder how other people label their photos. Especially film photographs. Do you write notes on the film sleeve or contact sheet? Or organise the rolls of film by location and event?
 


2 comments:

  1. Only 1000? ;)

    I write a few notes on the film sleeve (Date code, Primary location/subject, camera/lens/film/developer time and dilution). Any prints I make get the date code written on the back, so I can find the negative should I want to print it again (I file the negatives in reverse date order - most recent at the front, oldest at the back, in separate binders for 35mm, 120 and 4x5). I usually add those details (and what paper I used) to the blog post but that's really only for my benefit, to see how things change over the years. I can see, for example, that my developing skills have improved over the years (they'd need to have!) and that I'm getting more consistent results with my new favourite developer, HC-110 over my previous favourite, ID-11.

    I see a lot of folk obsessing about What camera/lens/film? on shots shared on social media. If someone posts that information I'll read it and mentally note it but if they don't, I don't really care. Half the fun is trying out new combinations for yourself rather than trying to emulate someone else's work. In my view, the shot either works for you or it doesn't, irrespective of how it was made. I haven't been to a lot of photo galleries but of those that I have been to, I don't remember seeing any details on prints other than a title/location and a signature. Oh, I tell a lie. I have seen examples where the photograph is accompanied by a massive spiel/back story - mostly, it seemed to me, in order to give the photograph more gravitas than it warranted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback. Most people here only have a title or a number on their photos as well as the printing method. I will probably stick to just putting a bit of information in the file name for now. Adding titles and keywords leads to XMP sidecar files which leads to more things to keep track of.

    ReplyDelete

Cat in a Blanket

  Fuji 200, Nikon F6  Another test to see how I like Blogger versus Wordpress. Wordpress themes are irritating me.