29 April 2022

Seorak National Park and Shinheung Temple

 A couple of weeks ago I put Ektachrome 100 into my F6 and made a visit to Seorak National Park with the goal of photographing the temple there. It was a great day for it; overcast, but not too dark. My talent as a photographer can certainly be cast into doubt, but there is no denying that the E100 produces great colours and tones.

Every roll of film must have a picture of a pet on it.

On the way to the temple there is a cable car that goes up to one of the mountain tops. This is an old one on display that's been painted in green and yellow. Much better than the grey of the cable car currently in use.

It looks like there used to be a tree in this ring of stones. I hope another one is planted later.

Historical temple buildings and main halls of worship are usually painted in the five colours known as dancheong. Administration buildings and the buildings that house monks or nuns are usually unpainted. Both are beautiful in their own way. 

I saw this woman enter the Samseonggak (三聖閣) to pray. I waited ten minutes for her to come out and pressed the shutter button when I saw her put her hand on the door frame for support. I cropped the photo scan in computer to get a better framing.
   A samseonggak is the building in a Buddhist temple where native Korean deities are worshipped, including the bearded mountain god who is always depicted with a tiger by his side.  

The main entrance to the temple. Again, cropped to 5:4 ratio to get a better picture.

That's it for the first roll of two I bought. I like the film a lot, but the whole time I was using it I couldn't stop thinking about how expensive it is. That caused me to slow down and think carefully before pressing the shutter release button, but I still only got six keepers. A small fortune for each frame. And I'm not working these days. Maybe I'll start using slide film again when I'm making some money, but I should probably stick to digital for now. Or use a cheaper product like Portra when I'm tired of pixels.



2 comments:

  1. That fouth shot, with the mountain trees in the background reminds me of 'old' slide film - it has that lovely soft look to it.

    Kodachrome was always expensive (and Ektachrome too, I guess, although it didn't come with processing included). I seem to have shot a fair bit of it as a teenager but I would have got some discount from the Chemist's shop where I had a Saturday job, so that undoubtedly helped. Once you've got the gear, shooting digital is pretty much free and it must be difficult to justify reaching for an expensive transparency film every time you want to shoot, particularly when you are between jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that, but I can never decide which digital film simulation or picture control I like. They are all okay, but not exactly what I'm looking for. That could be my fault. Slide film always looks great if you're careful about the exposure.

      Delete

Cat in a Blanket

  Fuji 200, Nikon F6  Another test to see how I like Blogger versus Wordpress. Wordpress themes are irritating me.