29 October 2021

Harvest

 

Hoesan Neighbourhood, Gangneung.

A lot of Korea looks like this now. A rice harvesting machine has gone through the fields to take the grain and leave the straw. Another machine comes later to roll the straw up into bundles and wrap them in plastic. If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you might see some of those bundles in the far background.
   A long time ago I stayed on a friend's small family farm for a few days in October and helped to harvest the rice with a short sickle. It's back-breaking work, and I can see why so many old people in the countryside are permanently bent over. Also, so many spiders in a rice field! Yikes! I don't know who jumped more often - the spiders or me. I also used a flail to get sesame seeds off their stalks. Also very difficult work. My friend's mother's cooking was a great consolation, and every meal was a feast. Rice, soybean paste soup, sesame leaves in chilli sauce, large blocks of warm tofu, some beef that my friend and I brought with us, fried shark, and various other side dishes. Work hard, eat well.


2 comments:

  1. I like it - the shot and the story. I've said before I think I would like the food where you are, sounds really interesting. Is everything chillified/spicy? We mostly cook at home, my wife & I, rarely eat out...and we love our spicy food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There is plenty of spicy food here, and what's not spicy is salty. But it's mostly all delicious. I don't like vegetables very much, so I pass on all the dressed leaves and shoots you get in restaurants.

      Delete

Cat in a Blanket

  Fuji 200, Nikon F6  Another test to see how I like Blogger versus Wordpress. Wordpress themes are irritating me.