25 October 2021

Downtown

Some people post photos and write very nice stories about what the locations, people, and objects in the pictures mean to them. I just looked over these photos of downtown Gangneung and couldn't even remember why I had been there. It took a while to remember that I wanted to go shopping at Homeplus and went early to make some photos before the supermarket opened.

This isn't my bicycle, but I did ride my bicycle and park it in the proper spot at the store. This one is just chained to a fence out back. This photo isn't spectacular, but to my mind it's a success of sorts because of the micro-composition.

The exit from the underground parking garage. I like all the lines, the strong contrast, and the colours of the booth and the barrier machine. (Surely the 'barrier machine' has a proper name.) Nikon's Vivid setting was made for scenes like this. This one will get printed.

The promised land of the Homeplus Building. 'CGV' is the name of a multiplex chain.

The pink building is a market built on the site of the old train tracks. The large building in the background is the Hana Bank Building. The bank is on the first floor, and the upper floors have a lot of medical clinics.

A closer view of the Hana Bank Building. The thin structure, I think, is one of those parking garages that keeps cars on rotating platforms. I'm sure there is a proper name for that. My active vocabulary has shrunk considerably since I came to Korea many years ago. My English is getting worse, my Korean isn't getting any better. Soon I'll speak no language at all. (Apologies to Dickens.)

City bus and suicide scooters. A new law says you're not allowed to ride these on the sidewalks (good!). But riding them on the streets is madness. It's tempting to rent one, but . . . .

A sign marking the end of a school zone. This is on a new bridge on my way home. Lovely blue, eh?

Dogs run out to greet you when you come home. Cats probably don't even know you left.

Well, there wasn't much of a story here but I think we all learned a lot.









 

4 comments:

  1. The bicycle photo is nice. Lots going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We certainly did (learn a lot). I learnt you like your lines. Well I kinda already knew that, but anyway...a very nice set of shots.

    I like the little bit of movement in the bus.

    And cats. Ours will run down to greet us when we come in...but I suspect only because they know that means they're getting out. Our tortoiseshell will sometimes come in and if she doesn't see anyone will start wailing. Then she settles when she finds us, or hears us call her. She's a bit of a home-bird. The other, tabby, would stay out all day and night if she could (and has done a couple of times). Ironically, she's the more affectionate of the two when the mood takes her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. The movement in the bus was absolutely intended and not caused by me forgetting to set a high shutter speed . . . .

      Delete

Cat in a Blanket

  Fuji 200, Nikon F6  Another test to see how I like Blogger versus Wordpress. Wordpress themes are irritating me.