04 July 2022

Rock Formation, Geojin

 

Goseong County, Geojin. HP5+, Nikon F100

I came to this place accidentally on purpose. One rainy day I jumped on Bus 1 just to see where it would take me and rode it to Geojin, the last stop. I got off the bus and walked up the road a bit to have a look at this interesting rock formation. Between lashings of rain I managed to make this photo with a 28mm lens. (Probably the AF Nikkor 28mm 1:2.8D).

Last Thursday I went back with my Fujifilm X-T4 to photograph the rock again.



I like the first photograph the best. The colour photos were made on a 16mm lens (24mm equivalent on a 35mm camera) and they are too wide. In the first picture the rocks don't feel as stretched apart, if you know what I mean. Also, the tide appears to have been lower in the first photo, and the exposed rocks help with the balance of the composition and give it a weightier feel appropriate to the subject matter. What I like about the colour photos are the touches of green near the top of the rock. It's a real point of interest. Notice that the light vein of rock in the formation curls and leads right to it. That nice leading line is broken in the last photo.

The next time I visit this rock, I'll go in the late afternoon when the sun is behind me rather than in the east. That would reduce the contrast between the rocks and background. I had to expose carefully and then raise the shadows quite a bit in all these photos. And I'll bring either the F6 or the D850 so I can use a 28mm lens instead of a 24mm equivalent lens.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting comparison. Definitely the first one for me, too - the formation curl leads in perfectly. And there's plenty of detail in the rock. Did the F100 meter that? Or did you meter manually?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I used the F100's spot meter for this scene as I thought the matrix metering might underexpose. Maybe it would have been fine, but better safe than sorry and film is too expensive for bracketing. I'm pretty sure I put the lower part of the rock in Zone 3 and I think the area with the crashing waves was about Zone 7 or a little higher. I lifted the shadows a bit in Lightroom after I got the scans back from the lab.

      Delete

Cat in a Blanket

  Fuji 200, Nikon F6  Another test to see how I like Blogger versus Wordpress. Wordpress themes are irritating me.