01 March 2022

Sokcho Lighthouse

 


The lighthouse looks okay from a distance. The original lighthouse was built in 1957 along with harbour construction to improve the economy. It was rebuilt in 2006 to make it taller and the touristy building at the base was probably built at the same time. I made this photo a few days ago and this morning I walked up there. Climbing the hill is good exercise, but the lighthouse is disappointing up close. I suspect most of my future photos of the lighthouse will be made from afar like this one.

I've been in Sokcho a week and there are lots of things to photograph here. Rocky beaches, harbours, lakes, decrepit alleys, some museums, a village of traditional houses (maybe a tourist thing), and so on. There are also a number of temples and other interesting places that I can get to by local bus or on short intercity bus trips. I'm still not really settled in here, but I hope to start getting out for some serious photography soon. At the moment I am more or less making notes. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow - so you're getting closer to PRNK? You'd best be careful where you end up with your trips with a camera! ;)

    The lighthouse looks like it should be interesting up close - funny how some things work out best from a distance.

    Hope you enjoy your new surroundings - I'm looking foward to seeing your photographs and reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think of all the likes I would get if I documented my dash across the border. It would be a small consolation for my stay in a south or north prison cell.
      I'm looking forward to exploring Sokcho, and I hope that I don't end up making the same kind of photographs I've been making all along. Old wine in new skins, etc.

      Delete

Cat in a Blanket

  Fuji 200, Nikon F6  Another test to see how I like Blogger versus Wordpress. Wordpress themes are irritating me.