04 March 2022

Sokcho Lighthouse Again

The day after I made the long-distance photo of Sokcho Lighthouse, I walked up the hill to have a closer look at it. As I mentioned before, it's disappointing and not attractive.

The base of this lighthouse looks like the same architectural style used in many commercial buildings.

Here is another photo of the lighthouse from down below.
The tall post on the right is advertising for a raw fish restaurant that you can see in the background. It's named Yeonggeum Pavilion after a nearby pavilion that sits in a hill overlooking the sea. The old camper in the foreground is a coffee shop.

These two people are scraping some kind of seaweed off the rocks at low tide. I'll visit this place again because there are some very interesting rock formations here.

This man was getting seaweed out of the water and popping it into a sack. For personal use? To sell to restaurants?

Sokcho Lighthouse is not really worth a look except at a distance, but I like this stretch of coast. It'll be worth my time to make a number of trips when the light conditions are good.





4 comments:

  1. Looks to be a lot less frenetic than your last place. I like the lighthouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go out in the early morning to avoid crowds. It's still winter so there aren't many tourists yet. I've heard that this city becomes overcrowded in summer. I'll have to find a new place to take my morning walks.

      Delete
  2. I like the seaweed collector shots. Dulse was a popular seeweed snack here back in the day - you can still get it, but it's more for the tourists. I tried it a few times as a kid - all I remember is that it was chewy and very salty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seaweed is everywhere here. I don't know what kind they are collecting on the shore. Maybe something for a side dish or flavouring.

      Delete

Cat in a Blanket

  Fuji 200, Nikon F6  Another test to see how I like Blogger versus Wordpress. Wordpress themes are irritating me.