04 January 2022

Restart

 

The Mannequin Reflects
About six weeks ago I stopped writing and uploading photographs to this website. I also stopped visiting other websites and tried to reduce my screen time in general. An interest in digital minimalism was one reason for this, but I gave up posting for a number of reasons.
All of those other reasons are directly or indirectly connected to quality. I wasn't satisfied with the pictures I was posting and I often uploaded uninteresting pictures because I was rushing to get something/anything on the blog several times a week. I did that because I once read that posting to a blog regularly is necessary if you want to maintain and increase readership. But I realise now that improving statistics isn't really important to someone like me who does blogging for a hobby. Because I was uploading photos to meet an unnecessary deadline, I wasn't properly separating the wheat from the chaff. And I wasn't taking the time to say anything intelligent or half-interesting about the photos I posted. In fact, I often felt I had nothing to say at all.
So why start again?  Two reasons, really. One, I want to improve my writing, and publishing something on a regular schedule regardless of frequency is a good way to do this. Two, I think photos need to be shared. I've been taking photos for the past couple of months but just looking at them on my computer. Sometimes I share them with pen friends but mostly they just sit on my hard drive. Maybe it's vanity to want to share my pictures publicly on a website, but it's the next best thing to having an exhibition at a gallery. And a lot cheaper. Who knows, perhaps someone will get pleasure from looking at my photographs.
I am going to make some changes instead of carrying on with the blog as it was. I'd like to post a greater variety of things. Photographs, of course. But also my thoughts on various subjects and perhaps some of my experiences. The danger with writing about those things is that I might just rant and complain. So writing drafts and editing, editing, editing will be important. Maybe I'll also share some creative writing. Now and then I write a poem or a story that isn't too bad. I'm not expecting to sell to magazines, so posting here should be fine. Again, I need to save drafts and edit edit edit before clicking 'Publish'. If I can't be great, I can at least not be crap.
Several blogs and websites I started in the past lie on the bottom of Cyberspace's rubbish bin. This blog almost joined them, but I would like to have another go at it. Maybe no one will read this, but I'll use it as a place to practise arete. Excellence through the practice of writing and photography, and excellence through critical editing.

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you back. I'm totally with you on the digital downtime thing - it's complete image overload these days on most of the online photographic groups. What's the point? I rarely log onto FB anymore and don't feel I'm missing anything.

    And the blogging. Things improved for me when I reduced my posting to twice a week - and even then at times it feels like the tail is wagging the dog. I could, and perhaps should, be more selective about what I post but for me I use my blog simply as an online diary of what I get up to, so that's OK.

    I shall look forward to the reset of your blog here. I enjoy your photographs and your writing, so will continue to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for the encouragement. Twice a week might be a good rate, if I can come up with enough to write about.

      Delete

Cat in a Blanket

  Fuji 200, Nikon F6  Another test to see how I like Blogger versus Wordpress. Wordpress themes are irritating me.