23 August 2021

Grass

 On a walk around my neighbourhood I made a number of photos and whittled them down to these two after a couple of weeks of editing. The saturated colours come from the Velvia film simulation on the X-T4, if anyone is interested. The colours look a bit garish on the camera's rear screen, but are more toned down on my iMac monitor. I used to use Velvia 50 now and then and, to my eye, the simulation looks similar. No surprise, given that the man responsible for Velvia film also worked on the digital version. 


I like the division of the frame into living plants and dead plants. 

An old house that I've photographed before. I photographed it this time because of the vines and weeds that grew up during the summer.


2 comments:

  1. Those colours are vibrant! From memory probably similar to Velvia film, as you say. I didn't realise the film guy worked on the digi simulation too - that's cool. Of the colour slides I have I much prefer the more muted Kodachrome look.

    I like the second shot, of the house being slowly absorbed back into Mother Earth. Is the roof made from corrugated iron sheets? Cheap and effective, albeit noisy when it rains. One of our outhouses has what looks like corrugated iron on the roof but I'm pretty sure it's asbestos sheets. Been there for well over 60 years and must be fairly weathered and inert by now, at least the outside surfaces. I'm not touching it unless it caves in...I'm leaving that little problem (and countless others) for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally like muted colours, but some scenes just call out for maximum vibrancy.
      The roof is corrugated iron. In the 60s and 70s there was a New Village Movement in Korea and thatch and other 'peasant' materials were replaced by blue or orange metal rooves. The paint has obviously all worn away here. I hate metal rooves because they are so much brighter than their surroundings (when painted) and are hard to photograph. Do I blow out the roof or let the rest of the scene go dark? Usually I do a bit of dodging before printing.

      Delete

Cat in a Blanket

  Fuji 200, Nikon F6  Another test to see how I like Blogger versus Wordpress. Wordpress themes are irritating me.