12 August 2021

A Few More From Seoul

 I stayed at the IBIS Ambassador Hotel Insadong in Seoul. It's cheap enough for about any budget but nice enough that you don't have to worry about weirdos wandering the halls at night.

View from the ninth floor at night. iPhone photo, not film.

Early in the morning I went up on the roof to see the view of Ikseondong, a neighbourhood of traditional Korean houses that are being turned into trendy cafés.

A telephoto picture of the street that leads to the hotel.

The same street, but with a wider lens.

I parachuted into Ikseondong and walked around a bit. Where I come from, scones are called buns or tea buns and they aren't triangle shaped or so large. I once saw these large triangle scones described as American Scones in a department store. If anyone from The States is reading this, could you tell me if scones in the U.S. look like this?

A less trendy alley in the neighbourhood, where a restaurant is using the street as a place to store things.

More to come . . . . .






3 comments:

  1. They're not what Irish scones look like, I can tell you that. Traditionally ours are round(ish) and with a smaller footprint, but taller. Usually plain or perhaps with currants or cherries but light and fluffy in texture. The last few years though I've noticed these enormous scones for sale in cafes - usually with fancy ingredients like white chocolate and raspberry. One scone would feed about four people. I don't think they're doing much for the health of the nation...

    Just an aside, Marcus. This might just be my setup, but when I click on one of your images, it pops up in a window but often it's the same size, or even smaller...and I can't seem to zoom in using the usual Ctrl-mouse wheel. I use Blogger too, as you know. I remember reading something about how Blogger scales images and since then, before I publish I go into 'Html view' and remove the default scaling factor that Blogger applies to the image - the part just before the .jpg...usually something like /s320/, or /w355-h400/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scones are cut out of the dough with a small cup in Newfoundland. Maybe that's why the Irish ones are round as well? The Newfoundland scones are not that tall. Some people ruin them by adding raisins . . . .
      Thanks for the tip about going into html view. I'll try that the next time I post.

      Delete
    2. My grandmother was the baker in our family - every day, pretty much. Pancakes on the griddle, scones, cakes. I remember her using a cup to cut the dough too.
      She used to make plain scones for my brother and I and then scones with raisins (I agree - yuk!) and even treacle scones. I remember my dad liking the treacle scones but to us youngsters they didn't appeal at all.

      My wife would bake scones occasionally but they never get eaten - once I've had one then I don't look for another for a few days, by which time they're not that nice.

      Delete

Cat in a Blanket

  Fuji 200, Nikon F6  Another test to see how I like Blogger versus Wordpress. Wordpress themes are irritating me.