26 June 2022

Impulsiveness

I've started posting photographs to Instagram again. I usually only upload photos that are already in my portfolio or that have been through my long evaluation process. On Thursday I was waiting at a bus stop and noticed a bicycle leaning up against a building. I made a snapshot with Hipstamatic and immediately posted it to Instagram. I was happy with the photo at the moment and it got a few likes (yay for me), but the next day I looked at it on my computer and wished I hadn't shared. Here is the photo:

The bicycle is too small in the frame and I've shown too much concrete, building, and construction site barrier. Also, the wire hanging off the building in the top left of the frame is distracting. Here's a crop that might be an improvement:
But not much of one. Taking a snapshot and sharing is fun, but not satisfying in the long run. Better to wait a week or more until I'm sure I like a photo before posting.



4 comments:

  1. I like to remind people that the insta in Instagram is derived from instant. The intent is to take a snapshot and share it instantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but I prefer to show only my better photos. Unless something interesting is happening that I want to share straight away. But not much interesting happens to me. :) As far as I can tell, quite a few other users also curate what they post to Instagram. That said, it might be interesting to just 'shoot-and-post' as a way to practise Getting it Right in the Camera.

      Delete
  2. I like what you have captured in these but I'm not sure which I like best. Perhaps the second, but I do like the square format.

    You write a lot about composition and it's obvious from your shots that composition is very important to you. If ever you feel like writing down your thoughts on this subject and how it informs what you do when you are taking photographs I for one would be interested in reading them. I don't know - perhaps it's too photograph-specific to distill any generalisations but anyway, I'll leave that with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouraging words. I don't think I could write a long essay or a booklet about composition because I am a poor writer. My thoughts start to fall apart if I attempt anything longer than a short comment or a single paragraph. Writing about single photos could be manageable. And might help me figure out what makes or breaks a picture.

      Delete

Cat in a Blanket

  Fuji 200, Nikon F6  Another test to see how I like Blogger versus Wordpress. Wordpress themes are irritating me.